Welcome to the SCOTA website.
Introduce youth to amateur radio by getting them on the air.
The purpose of SCOTA is to increase exposure of amateur radio to the Scouting organization in hopes of fostering interest in the hobby of ham radio, teaching technical skills with regard to radio operating and creating goodwill among fellow Scouts and amateur radio Operators alike.
- SCOTA is NOT an awards program, it is an Activity program
- SCOTA is a worldwide activity.
- SCOTA is an honor based program...A Scout is Trustworthy.
- SCOTA participants follow the Scout Oath, Scout Law & Outdoor Code
- SCOTA requires Two deep leadership... at all times.
- SCOTA requires all participants to follow the IARU/ARRL "Ethics and Operating Procedures Guide"
- SCOTA requires that at least one participant adult or youth is registered in a Scouting program
- SCOTA is open to all Scouting (Girl Scouts, Guideing, Venturing, etc. )
- SCOTA does not require pre-activation notification
- SCOTA asks that the Scout frequencies be used (if possible)
- SCOTA defines a contact as being any kind of conversation (voice, digital, video) between a Scout and another amateur radio operator. No requirement that the other station be a Scout or Scouter.
Camps may be activated any time in advance of the start date and anytime up to 30 days after.
We will use the DXCC standard prefix codes for the country list.
- First 1-4 characters: Country Prefix Code
- Second two: Subdivison Code (States in U.S.)
- Third: Activation count in this country/subdivison: incremental per location, same lat/lon uses previous value except for multi-camp reservations. Or the two units must have at least a .5 mile separation.
- Alpha/Numeric Special Indicator (expandable for future use)
- E: Emergency power, no commercial electricity
- E1 - 100% battery
- E2 - 100% solar
- E3 - Generator
- E4 - Other (Wind, water, etc)
- C: Commercial electrical power
Camp Codes (examples)
- KMO-00010-C = United States, Missouri (subdivision) activation number 10 using commercial mains for power
- HA-00001-E1 = Hungry, activation number 1 using non-commercial power source, 100% battery
- ZL-00005-E3 = New Zealand, activation number 5 using non-commercial power source, Generator